I enjoy programming software and managing computers, and I have been doing so since 2002. I am skilled with many of the technologies that power web applications: Linux systems, databases, web applications, and web user interfaces.
I thrive on solving complex problems and I love working in a team. I am passionate about doing excellent work, and I believe that effective and respectful communication is a key component of every successful software team.
Lastly, I think that having a sense of humor about stuff helps you not die.
ExperienceSenior Software Engineer - GovDelivery, St. Paul, MN (January 2009 - present)
- Worked in development team doing a ground-up rewrite of an enterprise web application / message delivery system
- Worked in a devops team to automate server configuration and provisioning using Foreman, PXE Booting, Kickstart, and Puppet
- Lead UI Developer for NowLocal project (December 2007 - September 2008)
- Lead developer for TheLab, a Flex-based "futures market" on product ideas for internal use
- Lead Developer, http://www.nbcsports.com/ (July 2006 - July 2007). In this position, I led a team of 8 developers on an agile project. I presided over a successful relaunch of the site.
- Web Developer, http://www.nbcolympics.com/ (2006 Torino Olympics)
- Designed, developed, and maintained company website Note: link goes to the Internet Archive version of this site; company no longer exists
- Invented an effective strategy for client attraction and lead retention using an opt-in email list and push notifications for new vacancies
- Developed new system for collecting and tracking maintenance requests from tenants
Some Open-Source Projects
A web application with custom hardware to open my garage door
A simple Ruby library for executing SQL against an Oracle database using Ruby OCI8
ActiveRecord OracleEnhanced Adapter
I have contributed several features to this ActiveRecord database adapter.
- See more...
Master of Music with honors (2003) - Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University
Bachelor of Fine Arts, cum laude, with honors in Music Composition (2001) - Tulane University
test-driven development, agile development, object-oriented programming, web accessibility, open source software, continuous integration, devops
Ruby on Rails, Puppet, Sinatra, Spring, Prototype, jQuery, Mule ESB, iOS, Flex
MySQL, Oracle, Sqlite, Redis, memcached, PostgreSQL